Utah man accused of holding woman captive for 12 days


West Valley City, Utah: 50-year-old Garman Shaun Cunningham has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on charges related to kidnapping and resisting arrest after officers responded to his residence on Friday, November 12 at about 10:00 pm.


According to KTVX a female victim called police to report a man with a gun had been holding her captive since November 1.


During that time, she reported that she had been deprived of food, water, and even sleep, and that she had been cut with glass and a knife and repeatedly raped.


In addition to being forced to drink WD-40, the woman said that she had witnessed Cunningham shoot another woman and then "disposed of the body in an undisclosed area."


As a result, "the victim felt that if they told Garman that they did not want to have sexual intercourse that Garman would most likely kill them. This was a strong belief due to witnessing a female already get murdered."


When officers arrived at the residence, Garman began throwing objects out the window at them, warning them that he was armed.


During a short stand off with SWAT, a single shot was fired at police before Cunningham eventually existed, armed with a sword.


"After several commands by officers were ignored to drop the sword, less lethal force was used on Garman," Gephardt Daily quotes the probable cause statement as saying. Once he dropped the sword, he began to run at which point a K9 was dispatched to take him down.


Cunningham was taken into custody a short distance away, but still resisted officers.


He was treated by medics at the scene before being taken to jail.


Cunningham has been charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated assault, criminal mischief, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted individual, assault against a police officer, interference with an arrest, failure to comply, and discharging a firearm.


West Valley City Police Lt. Sean McCarthy stated that the victim was transported to the hospital as a precaution. Her condition was not disclosed.


Officers have "not determined at this point if an unidentified female was murdered."



Leave a Reply