Father arrested for abuse of 3-month-old

Nunda, New York:  The Livingston County Sheriff's Office announced the arrest of 22-year-old Dustin M. Smith on Tuesday, June 8, for suspicion of abusing his 3-month-old child, three days after he bonded out of custody.


According to the release issued, officers and Child Protective Services were called to Strong Memorial Hospital on June 3 for a report of a child being treated for "injuries that were suspicious in nature."


"The baby was found to have multiple fractures in various stages of healing including multiple rib fractures, a femur fracture to the right leg, fractures to all three bones (fibula, tibia and femur) in the left leg and possible fractures to both right and left humorous bones (bone in the upper arm)."


Investigators made contact with Smith and found reason to believe that he was the cause of the injuries "after he became frustrated and angry while caring for his child." Investigators allege that "on multiple occasions Smith forcefully squeezed and held his child down" resulting in the injuries.


Smith was arrested the same day and charged with two counts each of attempted assault in the first degree, assault in the second degree, reckless endangerment in the first degree and endangering the welfare of a child.


Smith's bond was set at $30,000 or $15,000 cash.


The child has been placed into the care of another family member and during Smith's arraignment, Justice Mark Riggi issued a protective order barring him from further contact with the child.


"There is no greater crime than a crime against an innocent child," Sherriff Thomas J. Dougherty stated in the release. "In this case, an infant who has no voice to tell, no ability to run away and apparently has no protector in the home."


"I commend the hospital staff that brought this to our attention, the caseworkers from Livingston County CPS for their great work, the Sheriff's Investigators that aggressively investigated these heinous acts, as well as the Judge that reviewed the case at arraignments and followed the recommendation on the bail and the complete stay away order of protection."