Teen sentenced in Slender Man stabbing will request conditional release next week

In December 2017 Anissa Weier was sentenced to 25 years in a mental health institution after she pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree intentional homicide and a jury found her not criminally responsible due to a mental disease. As a part of the plea deal, she agreed that she would not petition for early release for at least three years.


Weier, now 19, has a hearing scheduled for Wednesday, March 10 where she will be petitioning the judge that sentenced her for conditional release. This is her second time petitioning the court for conditional release.


Conditional release, if granted, would mean that she would have a case manager assigned to monitor her progress until she is 37- the full length of time that she was sentenced to initially. If not granted, she has the ability to petition again in six months.


When Judge Michael Bohren initially sentenced her noted that, "It was a planned murder by kids. We can't forget the goal was to kill."


Bohren also said that while he found Weier to be remorseful and mature, he couldn't deny that a report about her creating a Ouija board at the West Bend Juvenile Detention Center in order to release spirits was "startling."


During the more than three years between the stabbing of Payton Leutner and the sentencing in 2017, Weier was psychologist Michael Caldwell stated that he believed that Weier suffered from a persistent depressive disorder and schizotypy, a condition along the schizophrenia spectrum.


These conditions they said, were exacerbated by Morgan Geyser's undiagnosed schizophrenia creating a situation in which the two girls shared a delusional disorder about Slender Man. The result was that Weier encouraged Geyser's stabbing Leutner 19 times and the two girls left their friend for dead.


After hearing from those that have recently conducted mental health evaluations on Weier, it will once again fall to Bohren to determine whether or not she poses a "significant risk" to herself or others.


Geyser was sentenced to 40 years in a mental health institute and as recently as last year, had attempted to appeal her conviction arguing that she should have been charged in juvenile court. Her appeal was denied.