Florida woman arrested twice within a 24-hour period for child abuse

Milton, Florida: Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson announced in a press conference on Tuesday, November 30 that his office had arrested a woman twice within the preceding week for child abuse.


"When somebody does something like this to a kid, this is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen," Johnson said before playing some of the audio from a recording that was brought to their attention after 31-year-old Tomasina Joan Frate had bonded out of jail following her initial arrest.


The video footage Johnson said, was "so graphic" that they would not show it during the press conference. After some of the audio plays Johnson assures those gathered that, "I'm going to go out of my way to make sure she goes to prison for this. She doesn't need to be around a child ever again."


Frate's first arrest came on Thursday, November 25 following a family gathering at a pool. At that event, witnesses reported that she had begun beating a girl for allegedly throwing her son into the pool.


Following the assault, Frate is said to have pulled out a gun and threatened to shoot herself in front of those gathered. She was taken into custody without incident and charged with cruelty towards a child and battery.


Her bond was set at $2,500 which she posted shortly before 3:00 pm the following day.


Barely more than eight hours later, officers once again arrested Frate. According to Johnson, officers were provided with a video by a caseworker with the Florida Department of Children and Families detailing another instance of abuse which reportedly took place on November 22, 2021.


Officers did not clarify whether or not both instances involved the same child. The children within the home have been removed and placed with other family members.


Frate remains behind bars at this time on charges of battery, aggravated child abuse, abuse of child without great bodily harm, and a conditional release violation. If convicted she faces a possible sentence of up to 30 years in prison.


Her court date was not listed in jail records.