10 Year Old Accused of Intentional Homicide Not Currently Competent for Trial

A 10 year old girl appeared for her arraignment hearing in November of 2018.


In September of last year, a ten year old girl was placed into foster care for reasons that have not been disclosed.  She was placed with a family that ran a licensed day care facility in Tilden, Wisconsin.


On October 30th, the Chippewa County Sheriff's received a 911 call of an infant bleeding from his head and not responding.  Emergency crews rushed to the scene and transported the six month old to St. Joseph's Hospital in Chippewa Falls.  From there, the child was airlifted to Gillette Children's Hospital in Saint Paul, Minnesota.


"Later that afternoon, the sheriff’s department received a call from medical personnel, a doctor, attending this youth and his belief was that the injuries sustained by the 6-month-old boy were not an accident,” Chippewa County Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk said.  According to reports, the infant suffered multiple skull fractures consistent with heavy force or pressure.


It didn't take long for the events that transpired to come to light.  The ten year old girl told authorities that she had been holding the infant and accidentally dropped him.  In the drop, he hit his head on a footstool and began crying.   That was when she allegedly panicked for fear if getting into trouble.


"She stated she was holding the child and that's when she dropped the child," Wade said. "The child hit its head on the footstool and then the child started crying and she panicked and didn't know what to do and didn't want to get into trouble and then she proceeded to stomp on the 6-month-old's head," District Attorney Wade Newell said.


The child died on November 1st, 2018.


Four days later, the ten year old girl appeared in court for her arraignment on a first degree intentional homicide charge.  It is Wisconsin state law that anyone age ten or above that is charged with murder start their proceedings in adult court.    She was ordered to be held on $50,000 bond.


It's unclear as to what has transpired in this case since last November as this story just hit headlines recently as she appeared in court on September 4th, and was found to be not competent to stand trial.


Doctors were called to testify that she is now even less competent to stand trial than she had been previously.  Her attorney argued that it is because she was being held in an adult facility instead of a juvenile detention center.


The judge approved the attorney's request to transfer her to a juvenile facility and ruled that while not currently competent, she may be deemed so at a later date with proper medication and classes.


She is due to appear back in court on October 11th.



Leave a Reply