Suicide after police chase leads to discovery of two dead bodies

William Farnum, 43 of Bellport, New York. [Image credit: Facebook]

When police attempted to make a stop on a 2003 Honda Civic at the intersection of Route 112 and Montauk Highway around 10 am on Tuesday, October 6, they had no way of knowing the crazy events that would soon follow.


Initially the vehicle is reported to have pulled over.  A passenger exited the vehicle and then, the driver took off again.


Moments later though, the vehicle crashed into a utility pole.


By the time officers approached the vehicle, they found the driver had slashed his throat.  Despite administering emergency medical aid, they were unable to save him and the driver, 43-year-old William Farnum died at the scene.


Officers then traveled to the Bellport residence that William shared with his father and sister to notify them of his apparent suicide.


When they arrived at the residence though, they discovered the bodies of two deceased, presumed to be that of his sister, Allison, and his father, James. Autopsies are pending to determine not only cause and manner of death, but also to confirm the identities.


Neighbors stated that Allison had not been seen outside the residence since September 25.


Farnum had been released on parole in May 2019 after a stay in prison for an attempted burglary charge.  Despite being on parole, Farnum had five charges against him pending in court at the time of his death, the most recent from September for resisting arrest while he was allegedly attempting to break into vehicles at a middle school.


Reverend Terrence Buckley with Christ Episcopal Church in Bellport spoke with WABC.  He told them that Amanda had been a long time member of the church and had attended since her childhood, and that she had recently opened up about concerns with her brother. "She seemed kind of torn between wanting to help him and also being afraid of him at the same time," he said.


The case remains under investigation and police are asking anyone with information on the incident to contact Suffolk County homicide squad detectives at 631-852-6392 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.