Former probation officer convicted of sexual exploitation of a child

Project Safe Childhood is a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice.

Boston, Massachusetts: The U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Massachusetts announced yesterday that 49-year-old former Assistant Chief Probation Officer of Lynn District Court Brian Orlandella had been convicted on two counts related to the sexual abuse of a child.

 

U.S. Senior District Court Judge Mark L. Wolf scheduled Orlandella's sentencing for August 5, 2022.

 

He has been convicted following a six-day jury trial on one count of sexual exploitation of a child and one count of transfer of obscene material to a minor.

 

The charge of sexual exploitation carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years, up to a maximum of 30 years in prison, at least five years up to lifetime of supervised release, and a potential fine of $250,000.

 

The charge of transfer of obscene material to a minor carries a sentence up to ten years, three years of supervised release, and a fine of $150,000.

 

The investigation into Ordlandella began in May 2018 after a mother in Texas contacted local law enforcement to report a conversation that she had found on her 13-year-old daughter's cell phone.

 

According to the press release, Orlandella used Kik to communicate with the child and sent images of himself to her, and asked her to send sexually explicit images and videos of herself.

 

During the conversations, she allegedly told him she was 14-years-old and he acknowledged that he was much older.

 

During a search of his residence two cell phones were located. Orlandella is said to have admitted to law enforcement during an on-site interview that he had used Kik and identified himself as the person in the videos recovered from the child's phone.

 

Orlandella was arrested in December 2018 and was indicted by a federal grand jury in January 2019.