Oxford, Michigan: On Friday, October 21, the Oxford County Prosecutor's Office sent an email to subscribers notifying them that the Ethan Crumbly "may decide to plead guilty rather than have a trial."
The email went on to state that there was no plea deal being discussed and that the prosecution had no intention of dropping any of the 24 charges.
A court hearing is scheduled for the morning of Monday, October 24.
The email went on to state that if Crumbly did not plead during the hearing, they expected the trial date to remain set for January 17, 2023. Previously Crumbly's defense attorney had announced intending to pursue an insanity defense.
"Based on statements by the shooter's attorney, the prosecution team expects that he will choose to plead guilty, but we will not know for certain until the hearing is underway Monday. We want you to be aware that the prosecution is not dismissing or reducing any of the charges, nor is a 'plea bargain' of any sort being offered to the shooter," Mary Larkin, a Victim Services Leader in the prosecutor's office stated in the email.
The possibility of Crumbly pleading guilty didn't sit well with one parent.
Lori Bourgeau spoke with Detroit News. "We were told we would find out the facts about the day and the days leading up to November 30 during the trial. How do we find out now? How do we understand the mistakes?"
"It was reassuring there would be a day we would find out what happened and be able to advocate for charge in Michigan schools," she continued. "It feels like a real loss to all of Michigan by not putting those facts out there."
Former president of the Oxford board of education Tom Donnelly, who resigned last month said, "I had hoped that prior to the anniversary of the shooting, this community would experience something like this. I think what this does is prevents a long, drawn-out trial, which is just painful even if the result is to your factor. This is an admission and a guilty plea and at least that chapter can be over with no question about Ethan."